What we do
Home-Start volunteers provide emotional and practical support and friendship to families with at least one child under the age of five. By doing so they represent a lifeline for many families when things are difficult. This support can be enough to prevent things getting worse and so can possibly help avoid family breakdown.
Parents and families come to Home-Start for a variety of reasons.
Loneliness, disability, ill health, multiple births, isolation, bereavement, post-natal illness, relationship difficulties or struggling with routines.
Our service is free and confidential.
How we help
A Home-Start volunteer will visit you regularly (usually once a week for a couple of hours) and offer:-
- Friendly support through difficult times for as long as you need help
- Understanding, that when bringing up children, problems are not unusual
- Reassurance that you are not alone
- A listening ear and a shoulder to cry on
- An extra pair of hands to help you cope with everyday situations or with Multiple Children under 5
- Practical help with activities like playing or story time
- Supporting parents to help them maintain positive changes
Who are the volunteers?
Home-Start volunteers are people from different backgrounds and vary in age, but all have parenting experience.
They will visit you in your own home and accept you as you are.
They are carefully selected for their friendliness, practical approach and understanding.
They have been approved and have all attended a course of preparation before being matched with families.
Registered charity number: 1131111
Company number: 6907615
Home-Start Blackburn & Darwen is committed to equality of opportunity and diversity.